The William Stephenson Memorial Hall in Althorpe was built in 1903.

Interesting Facts

Althorpe Memorial Hall The William Stephenson Memorial Hall in Althorpe was built in 1903. Money was given towards its building and that of the Methodist Chapel by James Stephenson. James was a local prominent businessman who had built Landowne House in 1877. His son was William Stephenson. Inside the memorial hall is a stained-glass window…

Former site of the fleet at West Butterwck

Interesting Facts

West Butterwick Fleet This is the former site of the fleet at West Butterwick. Fleet probably takes its name from the Norman French word La Flete which means a stream or shallow water. In 1851 it was described as a pond under the ownership of Butterwick Town. It was used for cleaning horses’ hooves after…

IoAHC Big Dig

Project Overview Following on from the success of our previous larger scale community excavations, we are set to deliver another in the Northern area of the Isle of Axholme in late 2021. Volunteers throughout the previous excavations have developed a core set of skills from on-site training. This dig will give volunteers the opportunity to…

#IoAHC Fact of the week

This image shows David Brown tractors lined up outside Belton Brothers and Drury in Eastoft. Belton Brothers and Drury were local distributors of the David Brown tractors as well as offering services, equipment and replacement parts. David Brown was founded in 1860 as a pattern manufacturer before making gear systems. They later started making tractors…

Garthorpe Hall in the parish of Garthorpe, built around 1860

Interesting Facts

Garthorpe Hall Garthorpe Hall formerly called The Hall in the parish of Garthorpe dates from around 1680 with later additions. It was granted grade II listed building status in 1967 partly due to a number of original features of the house. For example, it contains an inglenook fireplace with a chamfered Tudor-arched brick opening. Inglenook…

#IoAHC Fact of the week

The White Bear is a public house on Belton Road in Epworth. Originally built in the 18th century but it has later 19th century additions. It is a grade II listed building, and this image was taken in 1986 as part of a listed buildings survey. It contains interesting features such as an inglenook fireplace…

The former Regal Cinema in Crowle

Interesting Facts

Regal Cinema Crowle This is the former Regal Cinema on the High Street in Crowle. It was built on the former site of W. Bleasby’s blacksmiths shop. It was built by Mr Spivey and sons to replace their earlier cinema, The Picture House in the Market Hall. It opened in 1937 with one screen and…