Crowle Chafors Shop
This shop in Crowle has been an ironmonger for over 150 years. During the later half of the 19th century, it was occupied by George Pheasant. As well as being an ironmonger he was described as a gunmaker, watch smith, silversmith and jeweller. John Edward Batty took over the shop around 1900. Originally from Bradford he lived on the Isle on Man before eventually settling in Crowle with his wife and children. He was an ironmonger, tinplate worker and gas fitter. The shop also advertises that it sells soft furnishings and jewellery. By the 1920’s the shop was sold and was operating under the name Key & Sons. It was still a general ironmonger. By the 1940’s the shop is being run by Earnest and Rose Henning although they have kept the name Key & Sons. The shop advertises itself as an ironmonger and seller of furnishings. In 1963 Brian Chafor purchased the shop from Sun engineering. It has been run by the Chafor family since and still operates as an ironmonger. Locals describe the shop as a Crowle institution!
Image and text copyright of Isle of Axholme and Hatfield Chase Landscape Partnership.