Belton Post Office
This grade II listed building on the High Street in Belton is the former post office. Built in the late 18th/ early 19th century it served the inhabitants of Belton and associated hamlets with their post. The hamlets included: Carhouses, West Mosswood, Sandtoft, Temple Beltwood, Westgate, Woodhouse and Brakin. The population in 1881 was 1,719 so they would have made good use from a postal service. The postmistress in 1885 was Mrs Mary Picksley. Letters arrived from Doncaster daily at 7:25 am and were dispatched 6:15pm. This building is no longer a post office but a private dwelling. The village of Belton however still has its own post office on the High Street.
Image and text copyright of Isle of Axholme and Hatfield Chase Landscape Partnership.