Owston Ferry Church School
This is the former church school in Owston Ferry. It was built in 1842 with room for 150 children. The sign above the door still shows the boys entrance although the sign for the girl’s entrance has now been replaced with a house number. White’s Directory of Lincolnshire, 1856, states that the school master had a yearly rent-charge of £5 left by Joseph Noddle. However, the school was chiefly supported by subscription. The school master in 1885 was John Frewin and the sewing mistress was Mrs Ellen Stamp. By 1919 the school catered for 230 children with Mr L. W. Newby Stubbs as the school master and Miss Roberts as the infant’s mistress. A new primary school was built in the village in 1966 called St. Martins Church of England Primary School. The old school building was converted into a private dwelling.
Image and text copyright of Isle of Axholme and Hatfield Chase Landscape Partnership.