Axholme Joint Railway
Here we can see the ceremonial cutting of the first sod at Epworth for the Isle of Axholme Joint Railway line. It was cut by Miss Bletcher who was the daughter of the chairman of the company. The Railway ran from Marshlands junction near Goole to Haxey near Gainsborough. The total length of the line including branches was about 28 miles. The order for the Isle of Axholme Light railway was granted in 1899 and the Epworth station was opened six years later. Although the line ran a passenger service its main use was the movement of freight such as agricultural produce. Crops and vegetables were loaded onto waggons for transportation across the country. Large quantities were moved, for example in 1926 the railway carried 4,000 tons of peas. The line at Epworth was also linked to Hatfield Moors where peat was extracted. This would be transported via the railway to its destination.
Image courtesy of North Lincolnshire Museum service.