Here we can see sailing barges marooned on a frozen River Trent at West Butterwick in 1890. The River Trent provided a lifeline to many villages on the Isle of Axholme. It was used to transport manufactured and agricultural goods. At West Butterwick bricks and tiles would be loaded onto boats directly on the river for easy movement. Steam packets stopped daily at intermediate ferries before travelling on to Gainsborough and Hull. There was also a ferry crossing which took passengers across the river to East Butterwick. It was located next to The Ferry Boat on South Street. Evidence of the wooden jetty can still be seen on the side of the river at East Butterwick.
Image courtesy of North Lincolnshire Museum service.