Dirtness Pumping Station from the south west at Dirtness, Belton. This pumping station was built in 1867. It originally contained a James Watt low pressure condensing beam engine from the Soho, Birmingham works. It was refitted in 1928 and then again in 1952 when electric driven pumps were added. There are still pumping stations found across the Isle of Axholme to assist with the drainage of the land. Despite the work of Cornelius Vermuyden in the 1620’s to drain the area, it has been prone to flooding and water logging since making the pumping stations vital.
Image courtesy of the North Lincolnshire Museum Image Archive.