Keadby bridge also called King George V bridge crosses the River Trent at Keadby. It was built between 1912 and 1916 by Great Central Railway. It replaced a previous swing bridge which had opened in 1864. It carries a double railway line and a two-lane carriageway. It was the first type in Britain to have an electrically powered lifting span. The bridge has not been lifted since 1956 and was fixed in position in 1960. This image shows the bridge prior to this with the span lifted. Before the construction of the M180 in the 1970’s, Keadby Bridge was the only direct route between Scunthorpe and the Isle of Axholme.
Image courtesy of North Lincolnshire Museum Image Archive.