This is the former railway line running through the village of Belton. Now called the Greenway by many locals it runs from Crowle down to Haxey. It is the former railway line for the Isle of Axholme Joint Railway. The railway started with the Goole and Marshlands Light Railway which ran from Marshlands Junction to Fockerby. The Isle of Axholme Light Railway ran from Fockerby through to Haxey. Both lines were bought in 1902 by the North Eastern Railway and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway. The lines were amalgamated into the Isle of Axholme Joint Railway. The line was used to transport passengers and agricultural produce across the Isle before it shut in 1965. It is now possible to walk along this former railway route which is now a biodiverse environment for wildlife.
Image and text copyright Isle of Axholme and Hatfield Chase Landscape Partnership.