This is image of the Manor House on Church Lane in Amcotts. It is believed to date from around the 1850’s however alteration work to the rear of the building found evidence of wattle and daub. This would indicate that a building has stood on this site since at least the 16th Century. Wattle and daub is a traditional building method using woven sticks which are coated in a clay material. This clay material is usually made up of clay, earth, sand, straw and animal excrement. It was not far from this building that the Amcotts Moor woman was discovered. A female body was discovered preserved in the peat in 1747. After excavation her long bone, a hand, both feet and both leather shoes were sent for study and the rest of the remains were buried in the Amcotts Churchyard.
Image courtesy of North Lincolnshire Museum Image Archive.