During the 15th Century, Geoffrey Crowle and William Amcotts founded a chapel of ease dedicated to St. Thomas-ὰ-Becket. Unfortunately, the building fell into a state of disrepair and eventually collapsed in 1849. The church we see today, dedicated to St. Mark was built upon the same site in 1853 to replace this earlier chapel. It is a grade II listed building and currently houses an award-winning butterfly garden. Some of the stained-glass windows were replaced following damage from the Flixborough disaster on the 1st June 1974. This was where there was an explosion at the Nypro UK chemical plant at Flixborough. In total 28 people lost their lives and a further 36 were seriously injured. The explosion was so powerful that it could be felt several miles away and over 2000 homes were damaged in some way through the blast. The disaster led to the introduction of stricter safety rules in the industry.
Image and text copyright of Isle of Axholme and Hatfield Chase Landscape Partnership.