This image shows a group of cyclists from Crowle in fancy dress outside the Sir Soloman public house, Belton, circa 1900. The landlord of the Sir Solomon at this time was Thomas Pearson. The Sir Solomon got its name from the favourite horse of local man William Johnson. Johnson owned the manor house at Belton, Temple Belwood. He was a keen huntsman but local stories state that one day whilst out riding his horse fell and broke its leg. It had to be destroyed. Johnson was so devastated by this he personally shot his two best hounds so they could be buried either side of the horse. In 1747 he had a 30-foot obelisk erected in memory of his horse which still stands today. The Sir Soloman public house was a feature of Belton for many years before eventually closing and suffering damage by fire. It has since been demolished.
Image courtesy of North Lincolnshire Museum Image Archive.