Barges on the western side of the River Trent with Keadby Bridge in the background. Keadby Bridge opened in 1916 and carried both road and rail traffic. It was commissioned by the Great Central Railway to replace a previous swing bridge which had been built in 1864. It contained a 50-metre electrically powered bascule (lifting span). It was the first of its kind in Britain and at the time was the largest in Europe. The bridge was later widened and the headroom for boats increased. In 1960 the bascule was fixed in position so it can no longer lift. The River Trent has always been an essential feature of the Isle of Axholme. It was used extensively for the transport of materials and goods to and from the Isle. It also provided a route for passenger steam packets which would stop at certain villages along the Trent to carry passengers to Hull or Gainsborough. Cargo ships still use the River Trent to transport materials today.
Image courtesy of the North Lincolnshire Museum Image Archive.