White Hart Hotel, North Street, Owston Ferry. White’s Directory lists the owner of this establishment as Edward Briggs in both the 1856 and 1872 editions. It is located on the riverbank on the River Trent. Daily steam packets would stop close by to pick up passengers. They travelled between Hull and Gainsborough and were especially popular on market days or for excursions. In 1889 a horse boat was built by J. Leggott for the White Hart. It was used for the transport of horses and heavy goods from Owston Ferry across the River Trent to East Ferry. The White Hart still stands and is still in use as a public house today.
Image courtesy of North Lincolnshire Museum Image Archive.