Initially the Goole and Marshlands Light Railway was constructed from Marshlands Junction near Goole to Reedness Junction. It also had a branch line to Fockerby. A second line was built from Reedness to Haxey Junction. There was also a branch line from Epworth to Hatfield Moors for the movement of peat. This was the Isle of Axholme Light Railway. These two lines were joined in 1902 when they were purchased by the North Eastern and Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway for £73,500 and £27,500 respectively. This image shows the opening of Isle of Axholme Joint Railway at Crowle, circa 1903. Local farmers promoted the railway line and its benefits. This included Mr Halkon after whom the engine in this photograph is named.
Image courtesy of North Lincolnshire Museum Image Archive.