This image from circa 1910 shows Mr. Taylors wedding taking place on Cross Street in Crowle. On the left can be seen the Fishmongers Arms which was a public house. Crowle was one of the larger villages on the Isle of Axholme and was well known for its agricultural produce. In the 19th Century it was a big area for growing hemp and flax for sack and rope weaving. However, the biggest source of employment was peat cutting on Crowle Moors. This has since stopped, and the Moors are now being allowed to regenerate. This is especially important as we now know peatlands can hold up to twice as much carbon as a forest and are therefore essential for tackling climate change.
Image courtesy of the North Lincolnshire Museum Image Archive.