Photograph of the central bay of the Almshouses, Bagley Lane Owston Ferry taken in February 1987. These grade 2 listed buildings are built in red brick with a Welsh slate roof. They were commissioned by Frances Sanders of Owston ferry who gave many gifts to the inhabitants of the village including the East window at the Church of St. Martin as well as the archway to the churchyard. The almshouses were for six poor women. The inscription on the plaque reads ‘Dedicated to Almighty God Forever. For the Benefit of Ages Females’. Above the plaque sits a carved figure finial of seated old woman wearing a bonnet and apron and reading a book. At each gable end is a blue brick cross. Although these were built in 1860, the history of almshouses stretches back to the Medieval period when religious orders cared for the sick and the poor. There was a resurgence during the Victorian era for wealthy philanthropists to endow almshouses. This was due to their horror at the scandalous living conditions of many people who moved to the towns and cities for work. There are still almshouses in use today for those in need.
Image courtesy of North Lincolnshire Museum service.